Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Amy Wenzel's equipment

"Secondly, I wanted to take a moment to answer one of the most frequent questions that comes to me on a regular basis….”What equipment do you use/recommend?” First let me say that I can’t recommend a Canon over a Nikon for the simple fact that I’ve never picked up a Nikon in my life. All I can say is that I love my Canon to death and it does everything I want it to do, so I have never needed to look elsewhere! Here’s a list of what’s in my bag:

  • Canon 5 D Mark II
  • 85mm 1.2 L
  • 50mm 1.2 L
  • 24-70mm 2.8L

One of the best decisions I ever made for my business was to upgrade to the pro lenses. I previously shot on the 85 1.8 and 50 1.4. The difference in upgrading to the 85 1.2 and 50 1.2 was ASTOUNDING. It was like having a whole new camera. I could have wept eternal tears over the tremendous quality increase. When you pay for the 1.2 you aren’t just paying for a faster lens, you are paying for professional glass. You will see differences in the contrast, light distribution, creaminess, sharpness, and tons of other technology related things that I don’t know names for. I realized how much time I was previously wasting in Photoshop just trying to compensate for what was coming off my camera. The nail in the coffin was when I rented the 50 1.2 for day, and once I saw the difference I could never go back. And oh my soul, I would have sold an organ on the black market to get that new lens. So I did. (Got the lens, I mean, not sell an organ). And I like to use fixed lenses because they are so much sharper. I plan to replace my 24-70 2.8 zoom with the fixed 35mm 1.4 very soon. (I borrowed the 35mm and now need to sell another organ. dear, me.)

Upgrading to the 5 D Mark II was the same hysterical aha moment of “Oh my gosh, my life just got 10 million times easier and now my photos are finally coming off the camera the way I want them too!!!!!” There really is that much of a difference. So that is me on my soap box telling portrait photographers everywhere, that yes, it’s worth the investment, and yes, if you can do it you definitely should!"

found it here as I was browsing on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment